
So Noah and I went to a yardsale today in our neighborhood of West Asheville. By the time I returned home, I noticed that this one little trip was extremely representative of what it is like to live here. (and what all those quantum physics folks are always going on about...)
Case in point: So while at this yardsale, I ran into Amy, who cuts Jessica's hair. Jessica found out about her, because she used to cut Dicksy and Jason's hair as well. This yardsale was being held beside Harvest Records - a record store that once hosted one of my former student's art shows, and also hosted a show by the band The Evens - who include Ian McKay, a founding member of Fugazi. Fugazi wrote a song called "Waiting Room", which my band has played. Our band practices at Bart's house, which is less than a block from Buffalo's house. We see Buffalo often when we take walks in the evening. He owns Second Gear (a consignment store for outdoor gear), which is located next door to Harvest Records. I bought a waistpack there last week to use when I take Noah to play disc golf, which I most often play at Richmond Hill park, which is just down the road from BCS, the school system that employs me. BCS is beside Square D, which used to be my Dad's leading customer, and where Sue used to work. Sue and I ran a youth group in Greensboro together, and now our kids go to the same daycare here in Asheville. One of the ladies who works at the daycare is a parent of one of my former students. She once got me tickets for a Sonic Youth show, who Ian McKay played with on their album "Dirty." And, as noted, he is in The Evens - Ah, back to Harvest Records!
So~ Both Second Gear and Harvest Records are directly across the street from Image 420, a screenprinter who does all of my t-shirts for NBHS AP World History (yes, our class has t-shirts. Go big, or go home.) and Ultimate Frisbee. Image 420 used to employ Emily, who also worked at Doc Chey's Noodle House - Jessica's (and my Dad's) favorite restaurant. Emily's brother, Alex, who used to be in the band Eddy, with Jason, is now a member of Grand Champeen - who are one of the greatest rock bands of all time.
The scary thing is: I am leaving stuff out and I could keep going. . .
Comments