
Noah (like Julius Caesar before him) came to Hilton Head, saw Hilton Head, and conquered Hilton Head. Our child has no concern for his personal welfare when it comes to water. He saw the ocean, and immediatly ran to it and jumped in to the surf headfirst. It was beautiful and perfect. He had a great time throughout the week just spending time, and learning cool stuff from his cousins (Sam, Blake, and Brady), who are sweet to him. He also got to see his Maw Maw and Paw Paw all the time, which is one of his favorite things to do.
I love our family beach trip. We mostly do the same things year after year. We eat at the Crazy Crab, and then get a photo taken in Harbour Town (above). We play games on the beach. Each family prepares one meal throughout the week. Mom bakes cookies. My brother Matt and I annoy everyone with our incessant jokes and talk of rock n roll. We hit the Salty Dog Cafe and buy over-priced t-shirts. And we all reminisce, a lot.
Over the past 30 years, we have seen Hilton Head change in many ways - not unlike our own family. And though it is different, I think that it is comforting for my family to continue going back to the same place each summer. I mean, the memories are there. For Jessica and I, we look forward to the change of pace each summer. It is clear that the journey from Asheville, NC to Hilton Head Island, SC is much more of a cultural one than a geographical one. But I think that is also what makes it fun for us to vacation there. In addition, it was just amazing to watch Noah explore and enjoy his time there. It is so much fun to just follow him around when he is in a new place. He just loves to experience, and explore his world. It is refreshing to attempt and look at the world through his eyes. This year, the trip seemed to sum up my summer for me, and give me confirmation that I could start looking towards fall, my favorite time of year.
Comments