![]() |
| Eating a ginormous burrito at El Farolito in San Francisco, 2004 |
One of the the first times I visited Asheville for a few days in college, I came across Rio Burrito, a now defunct burrito-specific shop on Biltmore Avenue. I went there all the time, and got to know all the nice folk who worked there. So, I was quite disappointed when they shut it down - so much so that I wrote about it here.
But when Mamacitas opened in downtown Asheville in Spring 2004, I was smitten - and have ranked it my number one burrito for many years running. I have yet to meet its equal.
So when I read that FiveThirtyEight.com is doing a Burrito Bracket in an attempt to discover the best burrito in America - I was thrilled. Like most challenges that they begin, it is full of deliberate data collection and objectivity. So I was intrigued to see that for their seeding process, El Farolito started at number 1. Back in 2004, Jessica and I actually ate at El Farolito, and it was glorious. So, I am curious to see where this burrito challenge goes.I am certainly hoping that our hometown champ Mamacitas can at least make an appearance in the Final Four.

Comments