Summer is fantastic. I love the freedom, and general lack of scheduling that comes with it for our family. Though, it should be noted that (as educators) both Jessica and I always grab a little extra work to make ends meet a bit easier. Towards that effort, this week Jessica is working an extra week at her school - and the kids and I are thus starting this summer on our own. I learned last summer that long days of idle time was a recipe for disaster for us - so this week, I have aimed to correct this mistake. My main aim is to make sure that the kids have time to play and explore, while also establishing a little daily routine. To be fair, most days will (hopefully) involve heading to the pool, and walking to the library.
But it also occurs to me that we live in a destination city -Asheville, full of amazing activities. And it would be a shame to ignore the possibilities. So, I put together a list of local adventures that I call Camp Graham. Each week, we have a few adventures, interspersed with rest days, and movies. We are not doing anything that requires lots of travel, or lots of money - but we have found adventures in our own backyard, ie: Mini golf, Cherokee, Montreat, Splashville, Biltmore, Swimming Pool, etc.
We hit Cherokee on Monday (where we took a tour through Oconaluftee historical village - which was the highlight), and played some Mini-Golf at Asheville's own Tropical Gardens yesterday. We added in some pool time, Star Wars, and a cool down in Splashville - and things are off to a fine start.I'll let you know how it goes.
Comments