
Jessica and Avery had the special bond from the moment that they first met one another's eyes. There is truly nothing like the bond between a Mother and a child. . .ever. Before witnessing it first hand, I could have never appreciated the magic that exist in that bond. The fact that Jessica has nursed both of our boys has seemed to increase, and sustain that bond. As a father, I have learned how to run support in the first months of my child's life - support for Jessica and the boys. Many times, I play the "Yin" to the Mother's "Yang", if you will. And when Noah was around 6 - 8 months, there was a sea change in my relationship with him. And ever since, we have been as thick as theives, and (aside from Jessica ,obviously) has become the dominant relationship of my life.
So, when we decided to have another child - I looked so forward to that relationship. And there was initially that amazing moment when you first set eyes on your beautiful child that you never forget, and it is as though that image and connection is forever burned into your psyche/soul. But then you also develop a more day-to-day connection over time, and over the past couple of months (as it was with Noah), Avery and I have locked in to the Father-Son bond. I can not explain it, but I feel it now - and it is as magical as it ever was. The symptoms are there - I am able to comfort him much more easily, he smiles and laughs when I am in the room, and makes questionable noises when I exit. And I can not stand to be away from him. And when I picture his face, I get choked up.
That being said, I still do not touch his affection for Noah. Geez, Avery is totally in love with his older brother, and is most happy when Noah is giving him attention. He actually just hops up and down when he sees Noah. And Noah is taking the bait now, and also taking more of an interest in his little brother. The coolest thing is that when Avery cries in the car, Noah talks to him, sings to him, and just tries to make him feel better. It almost always works, too! :) I have always truly hoped they would like each other, or at least recognize their ties that bind. So far, so good.
Comments