My friend Heyward has been a great friend of mine for longer than anyone else that I know. When I moved in to Guilford Hall at the beginning of my sophomore year at UNCG, Heyward came by my room to borrow my phone, so that he could order tickets for Pearl Jam. We struck up a friendship (though I was not much of a Pearl Jam fan) that has lasted for the past 15 years. We have had our ups and downs, but nothing too serious. We were both standing beside each other when we each got married, and we have been there when the other has done stupid stuff, and when the other has done amazing stuff. Sometimes we will not talk for weeks on end, but when the time comes for one of us to make a play for the other, we typically do it. He now lives in Oakland, CA - so we do not get to see each other as much as we would like, but we are still tight - and are always pretty honest with each other.I have been thinking a lot about Heyward lately for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is college football season. Heyward grew up in Clemson, so he is a die hard Tiger fan - similar to me and Wake. So we talk a lot during these precious months on the college grid iron. We both pull for each other's teams, unless they play each other. But even then, we are pretty cool about it.
But recently I have realized that having Heyward in my life is a wonderful gift. And the reason is that he is the most honest person I have ever spent time with. And while it is true that sometimes his words can come out like a blunt instrument - typically they are just the cold hard truths that most of us do not want to face. More than anyone I know - Heyward keeps my feet on the ground for me. And I hope I play some kind of important role for him as well, because he deserves it.
Comments