We went with Noah's Pre-K class to Skytop Apple orchard last week and it was one of the coolest things we have done in a while. Seeing the orchard, drinking cider, and eating apple-flavored donuts was rad, but the greatest part was just being around our Noah with his best buddies. He is so happy when he gets to spend time with Natalie, Maddie, Cooper, Lucas, etc. Those are his best friends, and he was smiling ear to ear the entire day. I am so proud of the kid that Noah is. He is heartfelt, funny, energetic, and just beautiful.
Avery did not get to come along to the Orchard because, as Noah put it, "he is just a baby." We always miss him when he is not with us, but it was important that Noah get his own day in the sun. Avery has really come into his own, and his personality blasts through everything else. He still adores Noah, and remains on that constant quest to accomplish everything that Noah does. And Avery is making major strides to that end. He laughs and screams so loud that you can hear him a mile away. He tries to eat with the same adult-sized forks, spoons, cups that Noah does, tries to sleep in Noah's bed, plays in Noah's room, and he gets crazy mad if we treat him differently than Noah. He still loves to dance and nod his head to music, and he is totally obsessed with Goodnight Moon. He would walk a mile for Goodnight Moon. I love him so much. 
We topped it all off with a weekend trip to the Dixie Classic Fair in Winston-Salem. Sam, Matt, and Jennifer ( who took first prize in cake decorating there!) joined us in the fun. This is the fair of my youth, and it has not changed at all, actually. After hitting the slides, merry go round, and funhouse - Noah got up the courage to ride the Haunted Ghost Train (He stared at it for about 30 minutes,then asked about 8 questions of what to expect. He then decided that it was too great an opportunity to pass up for a Halloween-lover like himself. He made the play.) He liked it, and the giant bag of cotton candy helped. Avery rode the merry go round with Mommy, and then we chowed down at the Germanton United Methodist Church stand - which has been located in the same location at least since 1986. Between that and an afternoon of tailgating for the Wake-Georgia Tech game (Let's not discuss the outcome, okay?)- we were as tired as we have been in some time. We hit the sack at my parents feeling like we had lived a fine and adventurous day.
Overall, I am just really in love with my family these days. Jessica and I are taking walks a lot, and it is good for my soul. And being a Father to these two boys is the best thing I have ever done. I guess the best news is that you never retire from fatherhood, so I feel as lucky as I ever have.
Comments