On June 16, 2001 (tens years ago) - I married my best friend. I spend most of my life being grateful for that opportunity. I have written about it here before. Though we had been friends, and had spent time in our larger group of buddies for a while, we eventually started dating in the summer of 1998, while both students at UNCG (not too long after I threw a giant snowball, hit Jessica in the face, and she faked like she was hurt just so she could more effectively rub snow in my face. She's a trickster.)
We honestly had an amazing courtship, full of joy and virtually no speedbumbs or complications. That lack of difficulty always made me suspicious that the world would come knocking, and make things hard for us. I guess at times it did knock, but that is when we learned, and that is when we grew together. 
We moved to Asheville together after graduation in the summer of 1999. We were so excited about being in the NC mountains (where we had longed to live) and our group of college friends had steadily lost its mojo by that time any way. Jessica enrolled in Grad school at Western Carolina, and I began teaching history at my current high school shortly thereafter. We got engaged, and tied the knot in June of 2001.
As most of you know, we eventually had two beautiful human beings, and are still trucking along. It is safe to say that we are now more in love than ever, and we are closer than ever. I remember when we first married, we promised to always give each other the benefit of the doubt - and though we were young and naive at the time - that has turned out to work very well, though I have failed miserably at it from time to time.

And over this incredible ten years of matrimony, I think that, more than anything, we have learned to forgive each other, and to forgive ourselves when each of us does stupid stuff - which both of us have done, do, and will do again.
We have also learned how to talk to each other, and how best to serve each other. But in the end - we always know that every day together is a gift, and an opportunity to become better friends, parents, lovers, and advocates.
But over the last ten years, we have mostly just had so. much. fun.
We honestly had an amazing courtship, full of joy and virtually no speedbumbs or complications. That lack of difficulty always made me suspicious that the world would come knocking, and make things hard for us. I guess at times it did knock, but that is when we learned, and that is when we grew together. 
We moved to Asheville together after graduation in the summer of 1999. We were so excited about being in the NC mountains (where we had longed to live) and our group of college friends had steadily lost its mojo by that time any way. Jessica enrolled in Grad school at Western Carolina, and I began teaching history at my current high school shortly thereafter. We got engaged, and tied the knot in June of 2001.

As most of you know, we eventually had two beautiful human beings, and are still trucking along. It is safe to say that we are now more in love than ever, and we are closer than ever. I remember when we first married, we promised to always give each other the benefit of the doubt - and though we were young and naive at the time - that has turned out to work very well, though I have failed miserably at it from time to time.

And over this incredible ten years of matrimony, I think that, more than anything, we have learned to forgive each other, and to forgive ourselves when each of us does stupid stuff - which both of us have done, do, and will do again.

We have also learned how to talk to each other, and how best to serve each other. But in the end - we always know that every day together is a gift, and an opportunity to become better friends, parents, lovers, and advocates.
But over the last ten years, we have mostly just had so. much. fun.
Here's to a million more years together, and a million more lessons learned.




Comments
our love,
Dicksy and Jason