I have been on a bit of a read-a-thon lately...and it is a welcomed obsession. Typically, I struggle to complete books during the school year, (My mind is usually too filled up with history, essays, project ideas, to actually maintain focus for an entire book) leaving breaks and summertime as my reading-centric times.
But a month ago a friend of mine strongly recommended Unbroken, for its mesmerizing narrative, and detailed WWII history. I was captivated by the story, and parlayed that book into John Green's Looking for Alaska. I am a huge fan of John Green's Crash Course History videos on youtube, and use them often in class - so I had wanted to read his fiction at some point. Looking For Alaska was excellent, and from there I read the mysterious and creepy Gone Girl, then Ron Rash's The Cove - which blew my mind (seriously, go read The Cove).
I am now finishing up Behind The Mask - the official biography of KISS - because I found it in my school library, and...well - I don't know how to quit them.
Aside from snowboarding opportunities, Old Man Winter and I are not great friends, so this recent read-a-thon has been wonderful to push me into new insights, and feed my restless mind until springtime makes an appearance. As many of you know, my teaching requires a certain amount of energy and direct verbal translation of historical forces. I love it so much, but there are times when it can drain me. I need to sit still and create enough space to challenge my mind with new questions and ideas.
So, what should I read next??
Comments