There are times when I easily balk at the idea that certain days demand sentimentality from us. I usually feel content to celebrate a birthday within a week or two of the actual day, and the same holds for spending time with family during this holiday season.
But I love how the start of a new calendar year elicits reflection.
I devour "Best Of" lists this time of year, and spend equal time making my own. I just love the documentary element of it all, and how it seamlessly syncs with my personal experiences throughout the last year. For me, 2015 stands out for the following reasons (in no particular order):
- Enough space in my life to recommit to reading A LOT of books.
- Noah turning into a tween, who enthusiastically follows his passion.
- Avery coming into his own.
- Family road trips to Washington DC, Cincinnati, Atlanta, and the beach! We have reached the age where our travels are so much fun for everyone - a dream come true.
- Our family getting our first dog Maggie.
- Jessica getting hired, and joining me, at our neighborhood high school.
But, to be fair, the past is prologue - so after reflection and (hopefully) growth, I am ready to take on the now and the next.
A tip of my hat to 2015, and pedal to the metal for 2016
Comments