I recently finished reading the book Ryan Adams: Losering, a Story of Whiskeytown. It is essentially a history of Ryan Adams, during his Raleigh years, thus it focuses predominantly on his (mostly forgotten) band Whiskeytown.
My older brother (of course) introduced me to Whiskeytown while I was still in college at UNCG, and I immediately fell in love with them. As I have written often, I have been a serious Ryan Adams fan ever since ( and it certainly didn't hurt that their paths crossed with Superchunk many, many times - including a shared drummer in Jon Wurster.)
But going back to the Whiskeytown records has been a welcomed rediscovery of their greatness, and I can't stop listening to them again. Their performance on Austin City Limits embodies so much of what made this band great, that I believe it is still worth a viewing.
Ryan still plays some of his great Whiskeytown songs live, and his version of Jacksonville Skyline here in Asheville years ago remains one of my favorite moments. He even played Whiskeytown's "16 Days" on Letterman some years back, and it still holds up.
My older brother (of course) introduced me to Whiskeytown while I was still in college at UNCG, and I immediately fell in love with them. As I have written often, I have been a serious Ryan Adams fan ever since ( and it certainly didn't hurt that their paths crossed with Superchunk many, many times - including a shared drummer in Jon Wurster.)
But going back to the Whiskeytown records has been a welcomed rediscovery of their greatness, and I can't stop listening to them again. Their performance on Austin City Limits embodies so much of what made this band great, that I believe it is still worth a viewing.
Ryan still plays some of his great Whiskeytown songs live, and his version of Jacksonville Skyline here in Asheville years ago remains one of my favorite moments. He even played Whiskeytown's "16 Days" on Letterman some years back, and it still holds up.
Comments