Skip to main content

Advice {to 16 Year Old Me}

At time I have come across the question of what kid of advice I would give to my younger self.  For years, I have given it  a bit of thought - though not much.  But recently, the question came across my radar again, and I immediately knew the answer:  I would tell my younger self...

Do not be afraid.  
Everything will be okay. 
Stay Hopeful.

I have spent most of my life finding joy and adventure with people that I love.  I have felt so loved by so many people, and I continue to love people with such depth.  I know how lucky I am.  And yet I spent many of my years afraid of losing it.  And yet, I know that I will lose it all - and I now know that it will be okay.  I wrote about the concept of Fear is a Liar not too along, and I guess this post is a kind of extension of that concept. 
17 year old me, in Paris.  I'm talking to you, dude!

I have recently read the books The Four Agreements and Dance of Days (Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital).  Though at face value, these two books have very little in common - upon closer reading they share a common belief: Everything is fleeting.  So we have to drink deep to find what we truly believe in.  And in that, there is always hope.

I was exposed to the punk rock ethos through several friends starting when I was 13, and I immediately gravitated to it.  I loved the idea that you made music for something bigger than you.  That you believed in something so much that you fought for it.  And that if anything stood in the way, you found a way through, or around it.   I also liked the power chords and skateboarding :)
16 year old me, with my high school punk band Filling In For Zippy

The punk scene in DC was particularly inspirational to me in high school.  The strict, purist beliefs of bands like Fugazi spoke to me, and helped provide me a code.  It was beautiful, but at times it made me uncompromising, judgmental, and distrustful of everyone and everything.  I believed in things so much that I became quick to dismiss other's ideas.  In reality, I was just scared to lose my joy.  And so I wanted to control, because I couldn't trust.  It wasn't until later in life (and still now) that I began to learn that vulnerability and trust is what truly builds the most beautiful relationships.  And from that deep well, one's code becomes more clear than any other external source could ever provide.

So now I know that there is no reason to be afraid.  And everything will be okay.  And to stay hopeful. So, if there actually exist some weird time turner of DeLorean that can go back through time, I hope my younger self is listening, and can more quickly let go of his fears, and trust in hope.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burrito Bracket

Eating a ginormous burrito at El Farolito in San Francisco, 2004 I LOVE burritos.  It is a passion that I share with my brother, and we actively seek out a quality burrito in almost every place we visit (Jessica is more of a Fish Taco kind of gal, but she enjoys burritos as well).  My love affair began around the age of 18, in the parking lots of Phish shows - where I could find any number of amazing burritos, cooked up on a dirty Coleman stove.  I just loved the explosion of flavor (and surprise) that came with each burrito I ate in those years. One of the the first times I visited Asheville for a few days in college, I came across Rio Burrito, a now defunct burrito-specific shop on Biltmore Avenue.  I went there all the time, and got to know all the nice folk who worked there.  So, I was quite disappointed when they shut it down - so much so that I wrote about it here.   But when Mamacitas opened in downtown Asheville in Spring 2004, I was smitten...

Best of 2024

Ben Graham's 2024 Mixtape (The Best Songs of {mostly} 2024) Can You See Me Tonight  - Good Looks Misses - Domnic Fike Birdseed  - Merce Lemon Right Back to it - Waxahatchee Alien - Dehd When I Learned Your Name - Daniel Romano Away From the Castle  - Video Age One Bad Day - Spacey Jane That's What Time Does - Oso Oso Never Meant - Iron and Wine Big Blue - Hovvdy Deeper Well - Kacey Musgraves Where Were You - Tyler Ramsey Waiting and Waiting - Bonny Light Horseman She's Leaving You - MJ Lenderman Sexy to Someone - Clairo Stained Glass Window - Sunday 1994 Flowers - Real Estate Taste  - Sabrina Carpenter Run Your Mouth - Marias All I Ever Wanted  - Ivy LUNCH - Billie Eilish That's How I'm Feeling - Jack White Jerkin - Amyl & The Sniffers Burning (Live...Again) - War in Drugs Top Albums of 2024: Lived Here For a While  by Good Looks Poetry  by Dehd Watch Me Drive Them Dogs Wild  by Merce Lemon Tigers Blood  - Waxahatchee To...

Im 30....seriously.

I am turning 30 today. So in the spirit of reflecting on these first 30 years of living, I am starting this blog. So, to begin - I shall update my status in life (this sounds complicated, so I will just try this in "list form."): Noah = greatest thing that ever happened to me. having a child was like an act of god, immediatly enacting a revolution on my perspective. Everyone tells you that " it is going to change everything." But I think I internalized that in a way that seemed to say ... things outside of me would change ie: schedules, sleeping, finaces, etc. Those things do change. But I did not accept that it would be ME that would go through the most profound changes. What I mean is, that the world itself has not shifted, but my view of that world (like Picasso in his Cubist period) has been transformed. It has been a traumatic shift for me, but in a beautiful way. Stop everything. "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes just came on the ipod. Sweet Jesus t...