
So our household has been selected by Arbitron (a national radio ratings survey organization) to participate in a study concerning what radio stations we listen to over a period of 7 days. In order to motivate us to participate, they keep sending us $1.00 bills in the mail. It's kind of weird. But, I am totally doing this. It seems exciting, and it is one of those things that just rarely happens to people. Which, to be honest, makes me feel sort of special. In all of their literature, it speaks of how "you have been randomly selected for this study..." Whereas I know that should specifically NOT make me feel special, it still does. And to be honest, I have become quite giddy about the whole thing. Wen I spoke to the Arbitron lady over the phone last week she asked me my age. When I told her, she implored me to return the survey - as "people in my age group rarely return the surveys." I assured her that A. I would return it and B. I would be thorough in my opinions on radio. Which leads me to NPR and how it is one of the greatest things in America. (Though we actually stole the idea of public radio from the British (BBC), but Picasso said that, "Bad artists imitate. Great artists steal." So there you have it. Plus, Americans stole everything from democracy to architecture, so screw it.)
I am excited about communicating to Arbitron that I ONLY listen to NPR - mornings, afternoons, and evenings. (specifically WCQS in Asheville) You see, I LOVE NPR. I love everything about it (except those programs like Selected Shorts - and A Prairie Home Companion bothers me, except when they had Wilco on a few weeks ago. That was cool) - the insane music breaks on All Things Considered, Ira Glass's nasally voice on This American Life, and the way Terry Gross stutters. Anyways, I have been filling out my radio survey this week - and it has simply turned into a reflective exercise on the greatness of NPR. In the "Additional Comments" section of the survey. I just wrote about how NPR makes every community better. It is certainly making my life more enjoyable. VIVA PUBLIC RADIO!
Comments