
I just acquired a new Ipod - 30 g video. (I passed on my Ipod mini to Jessica for her enjoyment.) Though I am just a bit embarrassed about it, my Ipod leaves me filled with overwhelming joy. What a brilliant concept and invention! I often feel that this was a machine tailor-made for my needs. What I mean is: I have my entire music catalogue on it (which is extensive, as you might imagine), a few films, videos, weekly subscriptions to my favorite NPR radio programs (see earlier posts), and my digital picture gallery. It goes with me everywhere - when I am running, travelling, at school, at home, mowing, strolling, etc.
I think about the crucial inventions of history and how they left a lasting impact on our culture. Gutenburg's printing press, China's compass and gunpowder, the Muslim's medicine, Ethiopia's coffee (which is the world's 2nd most traded commodity these days...damn!), etc. How will the ipod figure into this list? Well it probably will not figure at all into this great list, b/c it is a toy of the bourgeoisie- not necessarily a tool to liberate the masses. But to quote Ani Difranco, "Every tool is a weopan if you hold it right." So maybe the ipod could be used to liberate, subjugate, oppress, and educate after all? (I know that I use the hell out of it in my classroom, as teaching history through song is a cornerstone of my educational philosophy.)
But I digress. It should be noted that I just added some fantastic music to this great machine. This list includes records by: The Avett Brothers, Sonic Youth, Liz Phair, Slayer, Indigo Girls, Biscuit Burners, and Sea Wolf. I am excited about these recent addition, as school is out (andyes, I already miss my kids ), and they are making for some great summer listening. Well, except Slayer. I can not listen to that in the summer - or in the daylight hours for that matter. Holy shit, they are heavy.
Comments