
Over the past few weeks, Noah has gotten into trains. Thomas is his most recognizable "choo choo," but any train will fit the bill. He gets absolutely giddy when we cross over the Asheville railyard on our way home. It is really wonderful. So, we went to Charlotte, the 'ol Queen city, this past weekend for some quality time with the Hodge family. Staying with Nanny, we are less than 5 minutes from Freedom Park.
Sidebar: Even I, who am not from Charlotte, have a history with this particular park. You see, when I was 15 years old, many of my friends and I decided to go with Young Life on their annual retreat to Windy Gap - a camp in some place called Weaverville, NC (Yes, the same Weaverville in which I have been teaching school for the past 8 years. I guess I REALLY liked it). We went, got a little freaked out, but had a blast. In addition, we made some great friends who were from Charlotte. We all kept in touch, and later that year, I made my first trip to the Queen city (for something other than a Hornets game) to spend a day. While there, we went to Freedom Park - where we played guitar, walked around the lake, and climbed on the 1920s era steam engine. . . that's right, a steam engine. Which brings me back to Noah. . .
Jessica and I took both Noah and Nanny down to the park and had a magnificent time. Noah lost his mind over the train - climbing, dancing, and yelling "choo choo!" Nanny just really enjoyed being outdoors and watching Noah be Noah. It was a great day, and everyone was happy.
Comments