Finally! I got to go snowboarding today! My buddy Mike and I instigated a "dawn patrol" run to Wolf Laurel resort. Luckily, we live just 25 minutes from Wolf, and were actually on the slopes by 9:15am. I had not been on my board in about 20 months, so it was a welcome activity. Full Disclosure: I am not a very good snowboarder. I do not hit jumps hardly at all. I do not do cool tricks. I am not very fast. But - I can get down a mountain confidently, without falling. I feel like I am going fast, and I enjoy the hell out of it.
I first snowboarded in high school, at Beech Mountain, with my buddies - the Hinsons. I took it up quite seriously throughout college, spending many weekends and breaks on the slopes. But since getting a real job, having Noah, and becoming sort of busy - I have not been able to practice as much as I would like. So when I get a chance to go, I get really excited. (So much so that I may even create a blog post about it!) I think I enjoy it mostly because it is meditative for me. When I strap on my helmet, goggles, and board - I do not think of anything else except going down the mountain. And looking out across the Blue Ridge is overwhelming and, thus spiritual. To then turn the nose down the mountain with speed is addictive. Today I listened to Sigur Ros while boarding, creating a heightened amazement. I honestly felt like I was in another world. I can not wait until Noah can go and try it with me. How amazing will it be to share such a magical thing with him?
Comments