Precious Lord, Take My Hand was Martin Luther King Jr.'s favorite hymn. According to the sermon I heard today, which was moving, he requested this song as he lay dying in Memphis on April 4, 1968. We sang it in church, and I teared up. He made us all better, and to quote Lincoln, he "appealed to the better angels of our nature." We will inaugurate the first African-American President this Tuesday, the day after we celebrate King's birthday. I think it is extremely difficult not to see the absolute beauty in that. I am so contented that I have lived to see this day. The struggle continues, but I am enjoying this moment. You know, come to think of it - U2 has a pretty nice little tribute to the man in Pride (In The Name of Love). Have a listen (and a watch) here. "Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve." - MLK
Comments