As is to be expected, things have been busy around here. The most notable event was the death of Jessica's paternal Grandfather. He passed away in his sleep on Friday morning. Jessica and her sister Melissa, had spent many great weekends and holidays with he and their Grandmother tthroughout their childhood. I was lucky enough to have also enjoyed some wonderful moments with him, over these past 11 years as well. I am in no position to eulogize him, as I did not know him nearly as well as Jessica, obviously. But it is safe to say that he was truly a great man, who had served in the US Navy during WWII, raised four children, retired from OSHA, and made everything that a man could possibly make out of wood. His funeral was on Monday, in Raleigh. In an effort to maximize Jessica's time with her extended family - Avery, Noah and I sort of set up a basecamp at my parents house in Winston-Salem, while Jessica drove up to Raleigh early on Monday, attending the funeral and spending the whole day with family. I was on children duty, so my perspective is limited - but it seems like the day was a time of great reflection, unity, and funny stories for all of the Hodges. He will be missed.
Here is his obituary in the Raleigh News and Observer. If you see Jessica soon, ask her about him - she has some great stories.
Comments