 |
| Moab, Utah |
My college buddy just moved his family from California to Asheville last week. The only thing he left in California was his car. I offered to fly out and ride back to Asheville with him. He was gracious enough to allow it. I called it the Golden Gate to French Broad tour. So we saw five national parks (Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, and Arches) plus the cities of Oakland, St George, Moab, and Denver in four days.
 |
| Nevada |
It was an incredible adventure, full of spontaneous itinerary changes and laughs. We had not spent that much time together in..well..ever. So, it makes me reflective to spend so much time with a friend from 15 years in my past. It is always intriguing to be with folks like that, because I see things through the lens of my past. This trip was no exception, and helped me see my present life in great context. Being in a totally different environment (both geographically and socially) is usually the perfect tonic for that itch of perspective in my life, and I am grateful for that.
If nothing else, this excursion shed light more directly on how much I am a part of something so much bigger than me, every day of my life. And how it gives me great comfort to know that I am my community of loved ones, and they are me.
Years ago, I think I would have seen this trip as an individual "check in a box" of accomplishments. But now that I am older and (hopefully) more humbled by life - I was able to appreciate the beauty of the west, while aching for my family back home in the Blue Ridge. And these two emotions were not counter to each other, but worked together to push me to a better place.
And now I am happy for to have experienced that trip, and even more happy to be home. Home.
 |
| Bryce Canyon NP, Utah |
 |
| Yosemite Valley, California |
Comments