We have left it all on the field this summer. From Charleston, to Hilton Head, to (Jessica's solo trip to) Ohio, to camping - we have enjoyed a lot of quality family time. Ever since my return from the cross country trip, I have been drinking a little bit deeper from the cup that is my home and family life. And, as many of you know, it seems true that some time away for yourself can go so far in appreciating what you have.
Jessica took on the project of painting our kitchen cabinets white, and they look incredible. She has really taken her art and creativity to a whole new level this past year. It seems that her time in the ICU last summer has sharpened her focus and allowed her creativity (in art, writing, and photography) to truly flourish. It is inspiring to be around her.
Noah and Avery are growing up. Last year I was wondering when (and if) Noah would begin acting like a big brother towards Avery, ie: pushing his buttons and physically wrestling him to the ground. Well, like most every question in history - it was answered with time, and alas - Noah treats Avery like trash these days. It is hard to watch, and Jess and I spend a fair amount of out time refereeing this match - but the flip side - they actually play together now. And they enjoy each other's company 50% of the time.
This summer has also demonstrated to me just how different
my two children truly are. They each
have their own tendencies and eccentricities, and it is humbling to view. It is easy for me to get pretty high and
mighty sometimes in thinking that Jessica and I have had quite an impression in
our parenting methods. But in my more
sane moments, I remember the words of Kahlil Gibran, who wrote, “Your children are not your children. They
are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you
but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you."
Jessica took on the project of painting our kitchen cabinets white, and they look incredible. She has really taken her art and creativity to a whole new level this past year. It seems that her time in the ICU last summer has sharpened her focus and allowed her creativity (in art, writing, and photography) to truly flourish. It is inspiring to be around her.
So, it is my newest challenge in
fatherhood – to meet each of my children where they are, and try to help them
grow. I have to serve their greater
person, and it is my deepest hope that I am up for the task.
Comments