My eldest son, Noah, and I just returned from our first father-son camping trip at James Island. Jessica is in a different school system, and for the first time, we do not share spring breaks. As disappointing as this is, we decided to see it as an opportunity to do something amazing. I asked Noah about our embarking on such a trip a few months ago, and he was excited. He told me that he most wanted to go to Charleston - one of his favorite places. So, after a bit of research, we found the perfect campground. We were joined by our good friends Brian and Jackson, as well as Mike and Aleah - all of whom were great camping companions.
We were non-stop adventuring for three days, and fell into our beds early each night exhausted. We had a perfect trip.Beautiful.
Though we really missed Jessica and Avery - It was truly a special trip for me, as I am at the point in fatherhood where it is important for me to make time for each of my children individually. And this time was for Noah.
Aside from just being together, the trip offered Noah and I opportunities to work as a team: pitching tents, kayaking, cooking, building fires, etc. We worked really well together, and have returned with an even better bond than before. In addition, Noah gained even more confidence in himself and in his ability to make decisions and learn new things. I am so proud of him, and so grateful to be his Dad. 

Comments