I became obsessed with KISS sometime around my 8th birthday. My older brother Matt, really liked KISS and had many of their albums - as did every older (cooler) kid in my neighborhood. I was influenced by those older kids, and just loved the way that KISS looked. Their album covers were just incredible. I remember staring at Love Gun, Ace Frehley Solo, and ALIVE! in amazement. And I have always loved loud and ridiculous guitars - something that KISS has always been able to deliver (though they are at heart just a seventies pop-rock band, neither heavy nor soft. For the record- Creatures of the Night is their most heavy metal outing, whereas The Elder and Unmasked are KISS at their softest).
I spent many a Halloween dressed as Ace Frehley - making my Mom spend hours getting the makeup just right (which she always did). I went through a year where the only way that I would play my brother in fusball is if he put his KISS records on the line - which he always did. I had a Destroyer patch on my backpack through both high school and college - though I never listened to KISS at that point - I was in to punk rock, and was playing in my own bands. (My college band did cover Come On and Love Me - a great KISS song from Dressed To Kill.) I finally saw the original lineup (complete with makeup, and performing their 1977 tour) in 1996. It was great, and I loved it.
But I have always been slightly embarrassed by my interest in KISS. Everything I have ever read about the personal lives of the band members is pretty awful. I do not agree with their overt capitalistic abuse of merchandise, and our political views could not be more opposed. I generally like a lot of indie rock and punk music, and steer pretty clear of arena rock stuff. But, I continue to find KISS captivating, and I even read Ace's autobiography last summer (it was debauchery and excess). I am sure much of it is just good ol' fashioned nostalgia - but there is something there that I can not deny. And apparently I am not alone in my mixed feelings about KISS....
This morning, while perusing Grantland.com I came across this article The definitive, one-size-fits-all, accept-no substitutes, comprehensive guide to the life and times of KISS. I was excited. The catalyst for this article is KISS's upcoming induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Written by Chuck Klosterman ( a great writer of all things pop culture and musical), it details both his encyclopedic knowledge of KISS, as well as his constant personal struggle with his KISS relationship.So if any of you out there struggle with your KISS relationship, and do not know how to walk away - I recommend this reading. Remember, you are not alone.

Comments