Skip to main content

3906 Miles {Full Heart}

Noah at Marbles Kid's Museum, Raleigh
When I turned 16, I picked up a book entitled Down the Road in the Carolinas.  I basically went to every place within 50 miles of my hometown of Winston-Salem, by the time I was in college at UNCG.  There I met Jessica, and we (along with our cadre of friends) continued to keep the travel pedal down - using our weekends to explore state parks, beaches, rock n roll shows, and mountain trails (My college band, Callie's Paw was playing shows throughout the Carolinas during this time.  Many suspected that my passion for the band sometimes centered on the travel opportunities - which is partially true.  I mean, if you asked me to pile in a van right now, and drive to another state with 3 great friends - I doubt I would hesitate).  From there our wanderlust grew rapidly - taking us to Washington DC, Aruba, San Francisco, etc.

The Kids at Memory Lane, UNCG
Noah was born in 2005, and our family travel essentially came to a halt.  We continued to visit our families in NC cities, and vacation at the beach - but anything more than that seemed like too much.  But this summer has been different.  Our kids can travel like champions (mostly due to their respective ages) - and so we have hit the road again.  Camping, visiting family in Ohio, and day trips (Cherokee, Raleigh, South Carolina) have become the norm for us.  We are nimble.  And it is just as great as I have always imagined.

The great Starr, at Videri
Our family tour took us on a visit to UNCG (our alma mater), and then to Videri Chocolate Factory in Raleigh last week, a place that our old friends Sam and Starr founded.  It was so great to visit with them, and be inspired by their passions and know-how.  Our kids literally saw how Sam makes chocolate from the beans.  They were captivated and had full bellies by the end.  We walked over to Marbles Kids Museum, just beside our state capital building, and completed the "wearing the kids out."  I was just happy to spend some time with friends, and enjoy the ride.

After Raleigh, we returned to Winston-Salem, where we gathered around the back porch table with my family.  We ate a dinner of Lexington Barbecue, and a bag full of Videri Chocolate for desert.  We laughed so hard, played a game of H.O.R.S.E., and my brother and I caught up on music news, and exchanged some tunes.  It was one of my top moments of the summer

When this summer ends, I will have traveled 3906 miles since May 15 (without ever setting foot on an airplane).   At times, our agenda has been a bit reactionary, certainly due to our pent up travel demand of the past several years.  So, we need to work to find a good pace, and to work out travel kinks with our family of four.  But overall, I am feeling so fulfilled with the Graham Family Tour.  My heart is full.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burrito Bracket

Eating a ginormous burrito at El Farolito in San Francisco, 2004 I LOVE burritos.  It is a passion that I share with my brother, and we actively seek out a quality burrito in almost every place we visit (Jessica is more of a Fish Taco kind of gal, but she enjoys burritos as well).  My love affair began around the age of 18, in the parking lots of Phish shows - where I could find any number of amazing burritos, cooked up on a dirty Coleman stove.  I just loved the explosion of flavor (and surprise) that came with each burrito I ate in those years. One of the the first times I visited Asheville for a few days in college, I came across Rio Burrito, a now defunct burrito-specific shop on Biltmore Avenue.  I went there all the time, and got to know all the nice folk who worked there.  So, I was quite disappointed when they shut it down - so much so that I wrote about it here.   But when Mamacitas opened in downtown Asheville in Spring 2004, I was smitten...

Best of 2024

Ben Graham's 2024 Mixtape (The Best Songs of {mostly} 2024) Can You See Me Tonight  - Good Looks Misses - Domnic Fike Birdseed  - Merce Lemon Right Back to it - Waxahatchee Alien - Dehd When I Learned Your Name - Daniel Romano Away From the Castle  - Video Age One Bad Day - Spacey Jane That's What Time Does - Oso Oso Never Meant - Iron and Wine Big Blue - Hovvdy Deeper Well - Kacey Musgraves Where Were You - Tyler Ramsey Waiting and Waiting - Bonny Light Horseman She's Leaving You - MJ Lenderman Sexy to Someone - Clairo Stained Glass Window - Sunday 1994 Flowers - Real Estate Taste  - Sabrina Carpenter Run Your Mouth - Marias All I Ever Wanted  - Ivy LUNCH - Billie Eilish That's How I'm Feeling - Jack White Jerkin - Amyl & The Sniffers Burning (Live...Again) - War in Drugs Top Albums of 2024: Lived Here For a While  by Good Looks Poetry  by Dehd Watch Me Drive Them Dogs Wild  by Merce Lemon Tigers Blood  - Waxahatchee To...

Im 30....seriously.

I am turning 30 today. So in the spirit of reflecting on these first 30 years of living, I am starting this blog. So, to begin - I shall update my status in life (this sounds complicated, so I will just try this in "list form."): Noah = greatest thing that ever happened to me. having a child was like an act of god, immediatly enacting a revolution on my perspective. Everyone tells you that " it is going to change everything." But I think I internalized that in a way that seemed to say ... things outside of me would change ie: schedules, sleeping, finaces, etc. Those things do change. But I did not accept that it would be ME that would go through the most profound changes. What I mean is, that the world itself has not shifted, but my view of that world (like Picasso in his Cubist period) has been transformed. It has been a traumatic shift for me, but in a beautiful way. Stop everything. "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes just came on the ipod. Sweet Jesus t...