As you probably know, my first love of history came through music. Though I care deeply for world, american, european, and asian history - it is Rock n Roll history that is always my favorite. And the summer is the time for me to engage my inner geek.I am currently reading "Our Band Could Be Your Life." It is a stunning story about the beginnings, and growth of American Indie music. It follows many of my all-time favorite bands including: Minor Threat, The Replacements, Black Flag, Sonic Youth, etc. It is illuminating - and a great way for me to geek out this summer - when my reading typically shifts into high gear.
As much as I love to learn about the histories of my favorite bands, scenes, and musical styles - I always try to be careful with too much nostalgia in my musical taste. I most love to discover new music, and completely dive in to new vibrant bands. It keeps it all fresh for me, and is something that I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME thinking about.
So, thank God for the New Pornographers. Just when I ran out of new catchy music - they show up with this ridiculously perfect song. AND they are coming back to Asheville in the fall. We will be there.
Check it out, I hope it does for you - what it does for me.
Comments