We had a bit of a rough week. Between illnesses, cleaning, rainy campouts, a negative report from the teacher, a first BOG exam, and losing our homework - our family was WAY off of our game.
But we dusted ourselves off for a weekend at Montreat with many of our best friends. We camped, played games, made some new friends, rock hopped, and bobbed for apples at a mini-carnival (where I was the "barker" - an assignment that everyone regretted immediately). We learned about people, and shared stories around campfires and cold beer. The kids spent a million hours in the creek, and adults finished conversations.
We (and everyone else) bailed out early from the campground when the rain began to pour on Saturday, but I was lucky enough to take an amazing run through the Montreat woods upon my return on Sunday (to retrieve our tent). We spent yesterday at our house (and the brand new Whole Foods), and finished off by celebrating the birthday of one of our favorite 12 year olds... by playing neighborhood Kick the Can, and eating cupcakes (still in the rain).
I think I speak for our whole family when I say that we were happy to see this week end. But even more, we were happy to end in on such a high point. And we could not achieve the high note alone. We could only reach it when our friends surrounded us with fun and laughter - and we celebrated our time together.
We (and everyone else) bailed out early from the campground when the rain began to pour on Saturday, but I was lucky enough to take an amazing run through the Montreat woods upon my return on Sunday (to retrieve our tent). We spent yesterday at our house (and the brand new Whole Foods), and finished off by celebrating the birthday of one of our favorite 12 year olds... by playing neighborhood Kick the Can, and eating cupcakes (still in the rain).
I think I speak for our whole family when I say that we were happy to see this week end. But even more, we were happy to end in on such a high point. And we could not achieve the high note alone. We could only reach it when our friends surrounded us with fun and laughter - and we celebrated our time together.
Community. Wins. Again.
Comments