After Chris Wondolowski missed scoring a go ahead goal against Belgium, in the knockout round, on a wide open goal, in the World Cup - US soccer fans freaked out.
His miss had ended the USA's world cup.
Fans cursed his name, attacked him on Twitter (of course), and generally collapsed into the mob. He responded by writing this: “I wanted to let people know I’m a fan too,” he says. “I’m bummed too. I’m mad too. I know I’ll miss other chances. I know I’ll make some chances. But it’s just, man, I really wish I had made that one.”
Concerning his response, Jordan Writter Conn writes admiringly, "Here was something more rare than a world-class goal: a prominent athlete peeling away the postgame veneer, showing us the pain we assumed he must feel." (Here is Conn's entire piece about this - wonderful article)
I agree, and am amazed by Chris' ability to speak with vulnerability. Soccer (and sports) have no intrinsic meaning. They are games that we play. They entertain us, and challenge us - but what I love the most is when a game can make us feel more human. I love when a silly game can touch our emotions, and be a catalyst for personal growth. I just love...the vulnerability of it all.
My late father understood this better than anyone. The man never saw a games that he would not watch...even golf. And, to this day, I believe that games brought out the best in my dad. Whenever things looked bleak, or someone missed a game winning goal - he remained hopeful. I think is is quite difficult for traditional men to openly discuss their emotional tendencies, or their disappointments, or hopes. And that was certainly true of my father. But games allowed him to express his true emotions, and typically acted as a lubricant for further discussion about hopes, dreams, and disappointments.
So, here's to Chris Wondolowski for having the courage to show his disappointment, and to understand that he will keep hoping for victories - even in the face of defeats.
His miss had ended the USA's world cup.
Fans cursed his name, attacked him on Twitter (of course), and generally collapsed into the mob. He responded by writing this: “I wanted to let people know I’m a fan too,” he says. “I’m bummed too. I’m mad too. I know I’ll miss other chances. I know I’ll make some chances. But it’s just, man, I really wish I had made that one.”Concerning his response, Jordan Writter Conn writes admiringly, "Here was something more rare than a world-class goal: a prominent athlete peeling away the postgame veneer, showing us the pain we assumed he must feel." (Here is Conn's entire piece about this - wonderful article)
I agree, and am amazed by Chris' ability to speak with vulnerability. Soccer (and sports) have no intrinsic meaning. They are games that we play. They entertain us, and challenge us - but what I love the most is when a game can make us feel more human. I love when a silly game can touch our emotions, and be a catalyst for personal growth. I just love...the vulnerability of it all.
My late father understood this better than anyone. The man never saw a games that he would not watch...even golf. And, to this day, I believe that games brought out the best in my dad. Whenever things looked bleak, or someone missed a game winning goal - he remained hopeful. I think is is quite difficult for traditional men to openly discuss their emotional tendencies, or their disappointments, or hopes. And that was certainly true of my father. But games allowed him to express his true emotions, and typically acted as a lubricant for further discussion about hopes, dreams, and disappointments.
So, here's to Chris Wondolowski for having the courage to show his disappointment, and to understand that he will keep hoping for victories - even in the face of defeats.
Comments