It started when I was in high school. Many of may favorite bands, including the Stone Roses, Oasis, Charlatans, Teenage Fanclub, and Blur - were always going on about English soccer teams. Manchester was the heart of both the music scene AND Premiere League football at that time- so my interest was peaked, and I found myself loosely following the exploits of English soccer teams - especially in Manchester. As a lifelong Wake Forest fan - I have a soft spot for teams that just can not quite seem to get it together. So, over time, my support veered towards Manchester City - who were the obvious underdog club in that city - with Manchester United grabbing the championships and headlines in those days. (And they really are the "Wake Forest of England," I mean here is how Wikipedia puts it: Supporters refer to inconsistent results and unexpected events as "Typical City", or "City-itis" ......I rest my case).
But my support was from a far, and without much passion. Watching a match was near impossible in the US, and media coverage was scant. And I did not pay attention, or try very hard.
![]() |
| Oasis' Liam Gallagher supporting Manchester City |
I started paying attention.
And now I can not stop paying attention to English Premier League soccer...especially City.
We bought Fifa '15 for our Wii, and the kids and I have spent many hours matching up amazing teams - with Avery becoming a big Barcelona fan - and Noah preferring to support Crystal Palace. And now we are hooked, and I love to cheer for City.
![]() |
| Avery: Representin' |
I also geek out on the globalization element of it all. How an American family can come to watch, follow, and love a soccer team from the industrial city of Manchester England.
And it connects me to that time in my life when the center of my musical world was in Manchester - a time when all things England seem to hold promise for me.
And so a few weeks ago, when City defeated Leicester City while playing at home - and the stadium blasted a celebratory Oasis song over the PA - I knew that things had come full circle.


Comments