![]() |
| Our front row seat for Superchunk (acoustic) at Harvest Records |
Interestingly, my children are both now old enough to care about music, and consistently express opinions. So, our family is starting to find less and less music upon which we can all four agree. But for a while, we have found common ground on Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift, Coldplay, and Band of Horses. Jessica and Noah always lean hard towards bubble gum pop music - and Avery and I look towards more guitar oriented stuff.
But lately, Noah's favorite artist, the Disney-sponsored singer Sabrina Carpenter, has come to be our ultimate family unifier. We all enjoy listening to her, and each of us has a favorite song - and last week Noah, and I even worked out one of her songs on guitar and vocal.
| Ryan Adams and Bob Mould |
It culminated this past weekend, when we found out (which was Record Store Day) that Superchunk was to play an in-store acoustic show at Harvest Records. Jessica and I were so excited.
The kids? Not so much.
They both expressed to us that they would rather skip this show, as Superchunk is simply not their cup of tea these days. And it filled my heart with joy...because they actually care about music. They have developed their individual tastes, and they act on it. They know which music makes them feel amazing, and they can continue to find more of it for the rest of their lives.
And my hope is that, like me, they can develop a soundtrack to their lives that inspires them to grow. I hope that they can more easily access their emotions through music. I hope that certain songs will always remind them of places they have traveled, or how it felt to fall in love.
I LOVE music.

Comments