In 1999, Jessica and I were almost positive that a move to Asheville was in our near future. But it is fair to say that we were fighting against a powerful siren's call to the Holy city of Charleston as well. We have always been enchanted with that city. Over time, our deep love of the North Carolina mountains won out, and we have been here ever since. But we have spent the last 17 years visiting Charleston almost every chance we get.
So, last week, we were there again. And, as is most often the case for us, we enjoyed the city even more through our children's eyes (though there constant jumping on the hotels beds certainly pushed us to our limits...they have. so. much.energy.). Taking the kids on historic carriage rides, to Folly Beach, Fort Moultrie, the market, and to fantastic restaurants made for a fantastic break (Go to Minero!). I finished off the trip by running the Cooper River Bridge Run - a race that I have wanted to run since I first learned of it in college. A huge race of 40,000 people, I loved the overwhelming spirit of it - fun and encouraging. I know it is my kind of race when I stopped running to give free hugs...




Comments