Skip to main content

Ten Years {of Field Notes}

Ten Year Blog-iversary!  While I am turning forty years old today, my little blog is turning ten.  Ten Years.

As of today, I have been writing this little blog for ten years.  It's fair to say that a good portion of my adult life has thus far been documented in this space.  And there have been many times when I have not just wanted to write, but have needed to write this blog.  I first started writing a journal when I traveled to Europe, when I was 17.  I liked it, and the habit stuck with me.  and now, at age 40, I am glad that it did.  It is fair to say that it is not just a phase...

The constant need to both reflect and document the human experience has always appealed to the historian in me - but it has also helped illuminate what I am doing, and (more importantly) why I am doing it.  And journaling on this blog has continued to save me, and inspire me, and give me perspective.

It is no accident that Field Notes came about in the early years after the birth of our first child, Noah. As I have written many times, the birth of my children essentially gave me new life....or at the least, changed me.  Making sense of all of it was certainly the catalyst for this blog.  And I am grateful for it.

So Happy Blog-iversary Field Notes!  Thanks for the memories, and thank you dear reader, for following along.

Some of my favorite Posts to date:

Mining The Past

The Life of Passion

- Avery's Arrival

- Soccer and the Theater

Never Stop Exploring

Seeing The World Through the Camera Lens

Live Our Way Into New Understanding

Community is My Favorite Word

Great-Grandmother's Cowbell

We Can Love Completely

- My Kids Gave Me Life


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burrito Bracket

Eating a ginormous burrito at El Farolito in San Francisco, 2004 I LOVE burritos.  It is a passion that I share with my brother, and we actively seek out a quality burrito in almost every place we visit (Jessica is more of a Fish Taco kind of gal, but she enjoys burritos as well).  My love affair began around the age of 18, in the parking lots of Phish shows - where I could find any number of amazing burritos, cooked up on a dirty Coleman stove.  I just loved the explosion of flavor (and surprise) that came with each burrito I ate in those years. One of the the first times I visited Asheville for a few days in college, I came across Rio Burrito, a now defunct burrito-specific shop on Biltmore Avenue.  I went there all the time, and got to know all the nice folk who worked there.  So, I was quite disappointed when they shut it down - so much so that I wrote about it here.   But when Mamacitas opened in downtown Asheville in Spring 2004, I was smitten...

Best of 2024

Ben Graham's 2024 Mixtape (The Best Songs of {mostly} 2024) Can You See Me Tonight  - Good Looks Misses - Domnic Fike Birdseed  - Merce Lemon Right Back to it - Waxahatchee Alien - Dehd When I Learned Your Name - Daniel Romano Away From the Castle  - Video Age One Bad Day - Spacey Jane That's What Time Does - Oso Oso Never Meant - Iron and Wine Big Blue - Hovvdy Deeper Well - Kacey Musgraves Where Were You - Tyler Ramsey Waiting and Waiting - Bonny Light Horseman She's Leaving You - MJ Lenderman Sexy to Someone - Clairo Stained Glass Window - Sunday 1994 Flowers - Real Estate Taste  - Sabrina Carpenter Run Your Mouth - Marias All I Ever Wanted  - Ivy LUNCH - Billie Eilish That's How I'm Feeling - Jack White Jerkin - Amyl & The Sniffers Burning (Live...Again) - War in Drugs Top Albums of 2024: Lived Here For a While  by Good Looks Poetry  by Dehd Watch Me Drive Them Dogs Wild  by Merce Lemon Tigers Blood  - Waxahatchee To...

Im 30....seriously.

I am turning 30 today. So in the spirit of reflecting on these first 30 years of living, I am starting this blog. So, to begin - I shall update my status in life (this sounds complicated, so I will just try this in "list form."): Noah = greatest thing that ever happened to me. having a child was like an act of god, immediatly enacting a revolution on my perspective. Everyone tells you that " it is going to change everything." But I think I internalized that in a way that seemed to say ... things outside of me would change ie: schedules, sleeping, finaces, etc. Those things do change. But I did not accept that it would be ME that would go through the most profound changes. What I mean is, that the world itself has not shifted, but my view of that world (like Picasso in his Cubist period) has been transformed. It has been a traumatic shift for me, but in a beautiful way. Stop everything. "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes just came on the ipod. Sweet Jesus t...