If there is a word of the year for our lives for the past 9 months, that word is "soccer." Now that our kids are of a certain age - I started to feel the itch to play soccer again. So, I formed a (very) recreational team, Weaverville City SC. (We play on Sunday afternoons, and are currently 1-4...still working out the kinks ;). In the meantime, Asheville has created its first pro soccer team, Asheville City. They play in the fourth division of pro soccer, and almost everyone I know attended their sold out opening game last week. We all screamed, hugged, and high-fived as we watched Asheville City score their first ever goal, and go on to win. Supporting Asheville City, while playing on Sundays with my pals is pretty amazing.
But for as much as I love soccer, watching all of these friends from different parts of my life become friends has easily been the greatest part. Longtime buddies, neighbors, former students - they have all come together around the beautiful game to build a community. This whole experience of forming Weaverville City has merely confirmed my belief that all of us need the communal in our lives.
We need to create meaningful experiences in the company of others. From musical concerts, to public school classrooms, to soccer matches, we need each other -and I am lucky to be a part of it.


Comments