
ca·thar·sis
kəˈTHärsəs
noun
1.the process of releasing, and thereby providing relief from, strong or repressed emotions.
We have had a rough couple of weeks. Our school has experienced more tragedies this year than any other, and it has made most of us weary. In addition, both of our kids are heavily involved in their activity of choice right now, with rehearsals and soccer practices taking up literally every weekday afternoon. I wouldn't have it any other way, mind you- but Jessica and I are at our wits end, and that means we are tired...and not at our best.
The thing about loud, punky bands is the constant possibility of a moment of catharsis. Finding that emotional release through music is how I fell in love with fast/loud music int eh first place. Luckily for us, Superchunk delivered in the most cathartic way - playing the loudest fastest songs from their entire catalog (including Animated Airplanes Over Germany). I lost my mind, and it felt amazing.
And like most moments of emotional release, it helped build my faith in humanity, and the human experience - the magic that rock songs, and a group of humans can still illicit emotional response will never cease to amaze me.
What a time to be alive.
Comments