Skip to main content

It Is a Boy!

It's a Boy! To the absolute shock of Jessica, we found out yesterday that we are indeed having another boy. Jessica, experiencing quite a different pregnancy this go round, was totally convinced that this baby was of the female persuasion. But alas, there is a stem on that apple. We are crazy excited, not just because it is a boy, but because it seems so much more real once you know. Everyone that we have told immediately expresses some type of concern for our sanity in raising two boys. It seems that the task before us is fun as hell, but possibly perilous.

Jessica comes from a family that is just she and her sister ,Melissa. Their childhoods were very influenced by their mother, father, and Nanny - their Grandmother. There is a lot of estrogen floating around the Hodge family, and (possibly for that reason) Jessica has always joked that she would have all boys. I guess jokes are funny when somewhat rooted in reality.

My family, on the other hand, is dominated by boys. My parents had two boys, and one girl. My sister, Molly has two twin boys. My brother, Matt has a boy. We will now have two boys. The total family membership equals 4 girls and 9 boys. This brings us to a grand ratio of 9:4 - Ouch.


Someone asked me last week if I wanted a boy or a girl, and said, "Don't say you don't care." But I said, "I don't care." That is the truth. If we were to have a girl, that would have been great. If for no other reason than to have a child of each gender in the house. But, now that I know we are having two boys, I am over the top excited about it. The destruction, the energy, the volume, the excess is going to keep our house alive for years to come. Plus, there is a complicated and amazing bond between brothers - a bond that I still share, and love, with my brother, Matt. We compete, imitate, hate, love, respect, share, anger, and laugh together. Plus, we share a history - and much of it is a history of destruction. :)


Jessica is up to the challenge as well - moreso than any other woman I have ever known. She is a beautiful, thoughtful, and insanely compassionate woman - who will kick your ass faster than Genghis Khan. She was made for this. So, I guess it is official. For the next few years, the Grahams will be hard to miss - you shall know us by our trail of destruction.

Comments

Heather said…
congratulations! Jessica...as one of three girls...having three boys has been a-well-adjustment, but an extremely fun and YES destructive one. I'm so happy for you all!. And fyi...if you are not aware, in the very near future toots and burps will the the most hilarious thing your "boys" will have every heard of! :)
Ben said…
Thanks for reading Heather! We are buckling in for the next few years - ready for toots and burps! (I already think they are pretty funny. . .)

Popular posts from this blog

Burrito Bracket

Eating a ginormous burrito at El Farolito in San Francisco, 2004 I LOVE burritos.  It is a passion that I share with my brother, and we actively seek out a quality burrito in almost every place we visit (Jessica is more of a Fish Taco kind of gal, but she enjoys burritos as well).  My love affair began around the age of 18, in the parking lots of Phish shows - where I could find any number of amazing burritos, cooked up on a dirty Coleman stove.  I just loved the explosion of flavor (and surprise) that came with each burrito I ate in those years. One of the the first times I visited Asheville for a few days in college, I came across Rio Burrito, a now defunct burrito-specific shop on Biltmore Avenue.  I went there all the time, and got to know all the nice folk who worked there.  So, I was quite disappointed when they shut it down - so much so that I wrote about it here.   But when Mamacitas opened in downtown Asheville in Spring 2004, I was smitten...

Best of 2024

Ben Graham's 2024 Mixtape (The Best Songs of {mostly} 2024) Can You See Me Tonight  - Good Looks Misses - Domnic Fike Birdseed  - Merce Lemon Right Back to it - Waxahatchee Alien - Dehd When I Learned Your Name - Daniel Romano Away From the Castle  - Video Age One Bad Day - Spacey Jane That's What Time Does - Oso Oso Never Meant - Iron and Wine Big Blue - Hovvdy Deeper Well - Kacey Musgraves Where Were You - Tyler Ramsey Waiting and Waiting - Bonny Light Horseman She's Leaving You - MJ Lenderman Sexy to Someone - Clairo Stained Glass Window - Sunday 1994 Flowers - Real Estate Taste  - Sabrina Carpenter Run Your Mouth - Marias All I Ever Wanted  - Ivy LUNCH - Billie Eilish That's How I'm Feeling - Jack White Jerkin - Amyl & The Sniffers Burning (Live...Again) - War in Drugs Top Albums of 2024: Lived Here For a While  by Good Looks Poetry  by Dehd Watch Me Drive Them Dogs Wild  by Merce Lemon Tigers Blood  - Waxahatchee To...

Im 30....seriously.

I am turning 30 today. So in the spirit of reflecting on these first 30 years of living, I am starting this blog. So, to begin - I shall update my status in life (this sounds complicated, so I will just try this in "list form."): Noah = greatest thing that ever happened to me. having a child was like an act of god, immediatly enacting a revolution on my perspective. Everyone tells you that " it is going to change everything." But I think I internalized that in a way that seemed to say ... things outside of me would change ie: schedules, sleeping, finaces, etc. Those things do change. But I did not accept that it would be ME that would go through the most profound changes. What I mean is, that the world itself has not shifted, but my view of that world (like Picasso in his Cubist period) has been transformed. It has been a traumatic shift for me, but in a beautiful way. Stop everything. "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes just came on the ipod. Sweet Jesus t...