All summer long, I had a ritual. After waking up, Avery and I would head out to the front porch swing. There, we would sit together and basically listen to the world awake. I would down a cup of coffee, then I would turn on the hose, and water the ferns. When we bought this house a year ago, we looked at the front porch and thought...ferns. (We loved our previous house, but it lacked a fron porch - so we were stoked) So, as soon as it was reasonably warm (early spring), we bought six ferns,and went to work. We named them (Dr. J, Poopy, Fern, etc), and they have thrived. Now that we are back at school, I usually water the ferns in the evening, still with Avery - but Noah is often around as well. I love it, and it is something that grounds me. And the grounding is not just the ritual, but more the fact that I am nursing something to life, and sustaining it. It does not take a genuis to note that we welcomed Avery into our lives in the early spring as well, and the ferns have paralleled these first six months of his life. We are in the midst of an amazing time in out lives, for sure. And it is a rare treat that we are aware of it, in real time. I know that I will look back on this time as amazing, and overwhelming, and beautiful. And the ferns serve to illuminate the fact that the theme of my life right now is to nurture.
All summer long, I had a ritual. After waking up, Avery and I would head out to the front porch swing. There, we would sit together and basically listen to the world awake. I would down a cup of coffee, then I would turn on the hose, and water the ferns. When we bought this house a year ago, we looked at the front porch and thought...ferns. (We loved our previous house, but it lacked a fron porch - so we were stoked) So, as soon as it was reasonably warm (early spring), we bought six ferns,and went to work. We named them (Dr. J, Poopy, Fern, etc), and they have thrived. Now that we are back at school, I usually water the ferns in the evening, still with Avery - but Noah is often around as well. I love it, and it is something that grounds me. And the grounding is not just the ritual, but more the fact that I am nursing something to life, and sustaining it. It does not take a genuis to note that we welcomed Avery into our lives in the early spring as well, and the ferns have paralleled these first six months of his life. We are in the midst of an amazing time in out lives, for sure. And it is a rare treat that we are aware of it, in real time. I know that I will look back on this time as amazing, and overwhelming, and beautiful. And the ferns serve to illuminate the fact that the theme of my life right now is to nurture.
Comments