I'm going to tell it straight - I started out my Spring Break in a pretty grumpy mood. The weather has been cold, and we were unable to get outside. Trying to emotionally push through the cold winter caught up with me, it seems. So, yep - I was officially a grump on Monday and Tuesday. And I had to say, "I'm sorry" more than once about my sulky mood. To be fair, my beautiful children were equally grumpy, (due, I am sure, to the lack of outdoor options). So, I am grateful for Jessica's patience, and her encouragement for Noah, Avery, and me to go outside and run around- despite the cold. She knows us so well. We are just awful at the art of sitting still.
So going camping with some of our great friends was a welcomed event this Thursday (probably more for Jessica than anyone - as she was finally able to have her family returned to her, with positive attitudes in tow, nonetheless). We had even packed our sleeping bags early in anticipation. And it did not disappoint, once again making me grateful for good friends who inspire me every day. We stayed in a log cabin, located about 1.5 miles from a local camp here in Weaverville. We cooked some great food, hiked, explored, sang songs, and listened to great stories. We drank coffee out of old cups, complete with masking taped names written on them. The children ran. It was cold, chaotic, full of food and drink, smelled of fire, muddy, and a kid threw up - so it was a perfect camp out!
We made great memories.
Noah and Avery are more at home in a cabin in the woods than any other place, and it showed in their great spirits. Jessica grew up in a log cabin in Union County, so these experiences are roots for her. I just feel lucky, and am reminded that every day is a gift.
Happy Easter.


Comments