Today is Avery's fourth birthday. I am so grateful to have had this wonderful little human being in my life over the past four years. But I am also humbled. Because, "In our moments of most intense joy, we realize how vulnerable we are." (B. Brown)
Two or Three years ago, I really hit a personal wall. Everyday it was occurring to me how lucky I had become, and how there was absolutely NO backup plan if I ever suffered the loss of my family. And though I spend my life (and career) talking, I was unable to give voice to that fear. I just could not name it. I did not even realize how scared I had become.
But eventually my life held up a mirror to this, in the form of my friends and family - and I was able to recognize my own limitations. And more importantly, I am able to see that when we truly love - we give up any option of a backup plan. We surrender.
So, I am grateful to have Avery, and I am grateful to have Noah, and Jessica. And I love them all.
Comments