Having children changed everything about me. The reasons why are infinite in nature, but at its core it is embodied by the above quotation. My children walk around holding my heart, spirit, reputation, and beliefs everyday. Nothing, and I mean nothing, in my life prepared me for that level of vulnerability. And once they came into my life, I was challenged to change myself.
You see, my day to day routine in life had to shift. Simply, I was unable to continue on my current path. The babies had to be fed. They could not be left alone. etc. Either I had to ignore my children and continue on unimpeded, or I had to change my schedule - which translates into changing my priorities. And changing my priorities forced me to take an honest look at what I believe.
What is the end goal?
What is essential for my personal growth?
What can be discarded from my life?
These uninhibited questions, and the honest assessment that followed surprised me. I did not truly know what I valued the most, until I was "no longer able to change a situation." So, in many ways, I have yet to recover from this, or even come to an understanding of the profound impact that becoming a father has had on me - I am living into the answer, and try to reflect on it often.
If nothing else, fatherhood has humbled me. It has taught me to continuously face my own limitations, of which there are many - and attempt to teach my children methods to escape the major pitfalls into which I have sometimes fallen. You have to be nimble in this game, ya know. So it is my deepest hope that my willingness to change, grow, and make hard choices will sharpen my focus and help me to become the best person I can be.
Comments