Growing up, I was never a fan of running. As a young fella playing soccer, basketball, and football - running for conditioning was always my least favorite aspect of any preparation. But once I went to college at UNCG, it felt strange to have no exercise requirement in my routine. So, I started running a few times a week. That was 17 years ago.
These days, running has simply become a part of my weekly habit. I would not say that I love it, but it seems to be something that I need to do. I am a fairly hyper-active person, and a good run is just the tonic to save my friends and family from my near constant energy.
And now I am so thankful for it. They say that gratitude makes everything enough. I could not agree more. So I will run because I am lucky to have the capability to do it. I will not always be able to run. And when that day comes for me when my body is unable to answer the bell - I hope that I will rest easy with the knowledge that I used it like a tool when it was still capable.
To that end, it became necessary at some point for me to participate in organized races. I find that it keeps me disciplined, forces me to use my body up, and I love running with a crowd. There is an energy at races that is hard to replicate in other areas of life. I am not a fast runner, and I am not a long distance runner. But I enjoy the energy and spirit of a 5k, 8k, or even a 10k sometimes. So, I am looking forward to another evening run with 1000 other folks, who are all giving it their all.
Comments