I had a tough time dealing with the swinging moods of my
child this weekend. Our beautiful elder
child had an emotional rollercoaster weekend, including (but not limited to): a crying fit when
Jessica and I went out on Saturday, pseudo-bullying of his little brother, and adamant
refusal to leave Weaverville on Saturday.
And the funny thing is that I respect what he is going through – it is
not easy to navigate the world when you are seven. His moodiness is part of the game. But I do not like it, and it tries my
patience.
And the trouble is that these types of mood swings really
target one of my worst weaknesses – patience.
I have very little patience, and it is a serious weakness of mine. Those who know me best will echo this
sentiment, but I try my best to hide this trait. Or, at the very least I try to use it as an
advantage when things need to happen quickly.
But on my best days, I work on changing it, and becoming a more patient
man. This weekend was not one of my best
days.
Anyways, today I will try to spend some extra time with him,
and help him to sort it all out. But,
equally as important – I will try to spend a little time with him to practice my patience, and embrace the idea that
we must all live into our answers.
I love him more than anything I have ever experienced, so I
am thankful for the opportunity to be a better father today.
Comments