There was this moment last year when Noah's bus was really late in arriving to my school. Normally it is like clockwork, so when it was 20 minutes late, and there was no sign of the bus- my pulse was elevated.Eventually, the bus appeared. I was anxious but trying not to show it. When Noah got off the bus, he walked up to me - calmly. I hugged him, and as the bus door closed he sobbed uncontrollably in my arms. I was also at the point of tears, and the two of us just stood in the empty bus parking lot at the high school holding each other as he cried.
He had been so scared, and as he was new to riding the bus, did not know when (or if) he would be dropped off. But all I had to do was hold him, and it made everything okay. He knew that he was safe with me; I knew he was safe with me, and nothing else mattered. And he is right, because I will move mountains for both of my kids.
Once we calmed down about it all, we talked it through, and used the opportunity to put in some strategies for how to cope with this situation in the future (which have been helpful). But in that moment, my heart was broken because he was scared.
And I still get emotional thinking back on it - because in the end, we are just two people on this earth, but we have built something magical together. There exists something outside of ourselves that can not be quantified. We can not manufacture it. It is something that allows us to be comforted just by an embrace. And it only works with certain people, yet not with others. And we spend much of our lives trying to give voice to it - singing songs, making movies, saying words, and writing posts like this one. :)
We are more than the sum of our parts. I am so lucky to be able to experience that love, and to be needed in this way.
We are more than the sum of our parts. I am so lucky to be able to experience that love, and to be needed in this way.
Comments