I am so glad that I chose to live in Asheville way back in 1999. Asheville has more spirit and vibrancy then almost any other place on earth. You would hardly imagine that it is only a city of about 90,000 people (except that you see someone you know everywhere that you go). And lately, it has just become, well, totally insane. One of the more fun aspects of living here is the opportunity to constantly try new things - especially when it comes to food. I mean, yes - we consistently get amazing bands at the Orange Peel and Grey Eagle (as well as other venues) - including the New Pornographers next week! But it is mostly the food, coffee, and beer that constantly keep us on our toes.

And lately - it has been the doughnuts.
So over the past few days, we have tried out the two new independent doughnuts shops that have opened up recently: Hole and Vortex. And we have not been disappointed. They are each unique, but totally delicious. And I am just so grateful to live in a city that encourages and welcomes indie doughnut shops.
But this is also the time of year for leaf changing - and that just makes everything here seem amazing. Even if I am simply driving Noah to swim practice, it seems like I am driving through a music video, or movie scene.
And it warms my heart to see the tourists here, from all points of the compass. It seems that they recognize that same spirit that I felt 15 years ago. And I am so happy that I followed my folly directly here - I have never looked back.
Comments