We have had a rough start to school this year. First off, it is Avery's first experience in public school,., and the transition to Kindergarten is always tricky. So, he is having to learn the ropes - and that has made for some tough days. Things like folding your towel a certain way, doing homework, and cutting back on the "sillies" is just not his wheelhouse - so it has been tricky. Add to this the fact that half of his class contracted lice (including Avery) in the second week - and we have a rough start.
And Noah started third grade...and third grade is hard. The reading comprehension requirements are clunky, nit picky, and extensive. The state starts high stakes testing with all their multiple choice armies, both at the beginning of the year - and again at the end, which leads to a new intensity. The math is (and I am serious) the same math that I did when I was in the fifth grade. (complete with entirely new complicated ways to solve basic addition and subtraction, that we are having to learn....). And it is the first year that the students begin receiving letter grades. So far the result is that my son (who is social and curious) likes school less. And it has been pissing me off, and just making me feel sad.
But, as is often the case - the kids are resilient, and they are rising to the occasion. It has been pretty amazing to watch each of them develop more confidence, as they have learned to better navigate their new situations. It has translated into courage, and their willingness to try new things. Noah joined the swim team this Fall, and has started skateboarding (without any poking or prodding from us parents). Avery decided that he was ready to get back on his two-wheel bike (something he had lost interest in back in the summer), and has been riding like crazy. They are growing, and growth can not be an easy thing. If so, there would be no growth.
I am proud to be a part of it, but am realizing that the start of this school year is an opportunity for my growth as well. I have to be more patient, and I have to be more open to the new routines that others are establishing. And most importantly, I have to be open to growth - in which ever way it may come.
Comments