Skip to main content

The Mini Cooper {a mini victory}

My Mom finally bought the new car that she has wanted since 2008: a Mini Cooper...silver....with black racing stripes.

Awesomesauce.

In my family, my dad was in charge of all things automobile.  He bought our cars, helped service our cars, fixed our cars, and sold our cars.  He was born a salesman, and he loved to wheel and deal.  But he was also a tinkerer, and loved to find new ways to fix anything that was broken.  I would not say he was a "car guy" per se, but he loved the negotiations and the search.

So, we all found it a bit strange that when my Mom started asking him to look for a Mini Cooper, he dragged his feet.  He searched a bit, and even went to the dealership a few times to start negotiating.  But when it some time to make a deal, he would always take my Mom and leave.
He did this for FOUR. YEARS.

By 2012, it was clear to all of us that my Dad was struggling with dementia (I wrote a post on this here), and was unable to make any decision of consequence - much less remember things.  And all of his actions towards the car, in retrospect, make sense - and were merely symptoms of his disease.  My Mom became his full time caretaker. So the Mini Cooper had to wait...

With my Dad's death in August, we have all struggled  - but we have worried most about my Mom.  Her daily life (and constant  care-taking of my Dad) has completely changed, and she is tasked with finding new routines - and sometimes returning to things that she could no longer do as my Dad's disease worsened.  She is living in a sort of limbo - and it is hard for her.  The last time she was making decisions like this, on her own...was in 1967.  You know...when Lyndon Johnson was the president.  It is a lot to figure out.  She needs a win; something to be excited about...

So, for my Mom to go into the Mini dealership (with my older brother) a few weeks ago, and just buy the car that she had been waiting for is a big deal.  And she is so excited about this car.  She loves driving it, and brought it up to our house on Halloween, and really wanted me to drive it.  But she also feels guilty about it, because this happened after Dad's death.  She doesn't want people to think that she is partying it up after her husband has passed away. (and I assure you that she is not :)   You get the idea...

So, I consider this a fairly large victory for her, and thus for all of us.   She has found a little bit of happiness.  Mostly though, I am just happy to see her excited...for anything - even if it is a car.  We will call it a Mini-victory  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burrito Bracket

Eating a ginormous burrito at El Farolito in San Francisco, 2004 I LOVE burritos.  It is a passion that I share with my brother, and we actively seek out a quality burrito in almost every place we visit (Jessica is more of a Fish Taco kind of gal, but she enjoys burritos as well).  My love affair began around the age of 18, in the parking lots of Phish shows - where I could find any number of amazing burritos, cooked up on a dirty Coleman stove.  I just loved the explosion of flavor (and surprise) that came with each burrito I ate in those years. One of the the first times I visited Asheville for a few days in college, I came across Rio Burrito, a now defunct burrito-specific shop on Biltmore Avenue.  I went there all the time, and got to know all the nice folk who worked there.  So, I was quite disappointed when they shut it down - so much so that I wrote about it here.   But when Mamacitas opened in downtown Asheville in Spring 2004, I was smitten...

Best of 2024

Ben Graham's 2024 Mixtape (The Best Songs of {mostly} 2024) Can You See Me Tonight  - Good Looks Misses - Domnic Fike Birdseed  - Merce Lemon Right Back to it - Waxahatchee Alien - Dehd When I Learned Your Name - Daniel Romano Away From the Castle  - Video Age One Bad Day - Spacey Jane That's What Time Does - Oso Oso Never Meant - Iron and Wine Big Blue - Hovvdy Deeper Well - Kacey Musgraves Where Were You - Tyler Ramsey Waiting and Waiting - Bonny Light Horseman She's Leaving You - MJ Lenderman Sexy to Someone - Clairo Stained Glass Window - Sunday 1994 Flowers - Real Estate Taste  - Sabrina Carpenter Run Your Mouth - Marias All I Ever Wanted  - Ivy LUNCH - Billie Eilish That's How I'm Feeling - Jack White Jerkin - Amyl & The Sniffers Burning (Live...Again) - War in Drugs Top Albums of 2024: Lived Here For a While  by Good Looks Poetry  by Dehd Watch Me Drive Them Dogs Wild  by Merce Lemon Tigers Blood  - Waxahatchee To...

Im 30....seriously.

I am turning 30 today. So in the spirit of reflecting on these first 30 years of living, I am starting this blog. So, to begin - I shall update my status in life (this sounds complicated, so I will just try this in "list form."): Noah = greatest thing that ever happened to me. having a child was like an act of god, immediatly enacting a revolution on my perspective. Everyone tells you that " it is going to change everything." But I think I internalized that in a way that seemed to say ... things outside of me would change ie: schedules, sleeping, finaces, etc. Those things do change. But I did not accept that it would be ME that would go through the most profound changes. What I mean is, that the world itself has not shifted, but my view of that world (like Picasso in his Cubist period) has been transformed. It has been a traumatic shift for me, but in a beautiful way. Stop everything. "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes just came on the ipod. Sweet Jesus t...