As the longer days have become shorter, and colder - I have (like every year before) felt a growing restlessness. Call it what you will, but this cold season always leads to my magnetic pull to travel, run outside, and climb mountains. And though my personality traits (namely my inability to sit still, and be patient) can be assets to my happiness and help me serve others - they also remain my paramount challenge in life - and something that I must constantly stay on top of.Finding balance between the inevitable introspection that winter brings, with communal activities, and the spiritual feeling of being outdoors is challenging. And as far as winter goes - grumpy attitudes and cabin fever come with the territory for a family of four...
But somehow, this weekend - we found the sweet spot...
From the communal events of the Weaverville parade and a progressive dinner with friends, to today's family hike on the Appalachian Trail to the summit of Big Bald mountain - my restlessness is currently held at bay. I am left feeling grateful for my friends, my family, my community, and the mountains.
Now if I can just figure out how to keep this working until Spring...

Comments