I believe in the power of travel. As I have written numerous times on this blog - leaving the confines of the familiar, even if just for a day, has a way of clearing our heads, granting perspective, and creating space for reflection.
So recently, when my family and I drove the miles to Columbus Ohio and back over the holiday - I found that the open road and a new scene helped create some fresh air.
The rush of finding new foods, exploring parks, or just taking in any cultural differences is exhilarating.
In example: Using Atlas Obscura, I found that there exists a Topiary park in Columbus that has diligently recreated Georges Seurat's painting "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" (painted in 1884).
Or in Cincinnati, where our friend Brian encouraged us to visit the Over-The-Rhine neighborhood, where we not only discovered a fabulous cup of coffee (at Coffee Emporium), but also discovered a brewery in an old converted church (Taft's Ale House, named for the former president).And sometimes, when you notice a ginormous green dragon on the roadside near the TN-KY border - you drag your kids out of the car to take it in. Why? Because life is short, and if something gets your pulse thumping - than we better grab it with both hands and never let go. For me, that thing just happened to be a giant green dragon.
And when we returned home from these adventures, there is comfort, and a sense that adventures were had - and we are closer as a result.
Here's to the next roadtrip..

Comments