So, at this point in the Pandemic, things are certainly in flux. They tell us that we have made it through the first wave, or that we have at least managed to "flatten the curve." To that end, at least here in NC, things are opening back up. Coffee shops, restaurants, hair salons, etc are coming back online (with restrictions). The economic toll of this pandemic has hit really hard - and there has emerged a general anxiety about what the future will hold without a vaccine or treatment soon. It seems that our "flattening the curve" coupled with this economic anxiety has led to this new phase...
Slowly, plans are being made again, and I have had to go into my calendar for the first time in two months. Some these new plans have me so excited. I love to have something to forward to - and going to the coast, or seeing my Mom are exciting to me. But, there are other parts of our old lives that I have enjoyed living without. Which has led me to contemplate how I want to intentionally shape how my future days may look...
So, I started by making a list of the things that I really miss:
So, I am learning a lot about myself in this pandemic. And surprisingly, I have really enjoyed the slower pace of our lives. We take more walks these days, and I read more slowly. I am practicing mindfulness more effectively, and really listening to records. I have time to take deep dives into stories, podcasts, playing guitar, and reading history. I have also learned so many new technologies for teaching, like Screen-castomatic, imovie, and Google Chats.
I hope that as things move towards a faster pace again, that I can work to find this slower, more mindful space in my days. And I think that I can. But I am ready to embrace the exciting energy of a new school year as well, and I can't wait to go to a rock show again.
Here's to hope, and something to look forward to!
| Visited my classroom last week to record a video, and realized just how much I've missed it |
Slowly, plans are being made again, and I have had to go into my calendar for the first time in two months. Some these new plans have me so excited. I love to have something to forward to - and going to the coast, or seeing my Mom are exciting to me. But, there are other parts of our old lives that I have enjoyed living without. Which has led me to contemplate how I want to intentionally shape how my future days may look...
So, I started by making a list of the things that I really miss:
- I miss the daily quiet time in my classroom (which is like my mad scientist studio), alone each day to think- and take deep dives into stories, music, art, sports, and history.
- I miss my students. That energy that erupts when we are all together in our classroom, wrestling with big ideas and the human condition.
- I miss having something to look forward to.
- I miss restaurants, and going to Asheville Pizza for a movie.
- I miss communal events - music concerts and sports games.
- I miss watching Premier League soccer on Saturday mornings, with coffee.
- I miss Roadtrips.
- I miss seeing my Mom, and brothers and sisters...
What do I not miss?
- I 100% do not miss the constant scheduling of our lives: the soccer practices, track practices, carpools, meetings, homework, due dates, etc.
- I do not miss the semi-constant social events to attend.
- I do not miss the mindless bureaucracy of a school day.
- I do not miss the mad rush of dinner time on a weekday.
- I do not miss going to the grocery store.
So, I am learning a lot about myself in this pandemic. And surprisingly, I have really enjoyed the slower pace of our lives. We take more walks these days, and I read more slowly. I am practicing mindfulness more effectively, and really listening to records. I have time to take deep dives into stories, podcasts, playing guitar, and reading history. I have also learned so many new technologies for teaching, like Screen-castomatic, imovie, and Google Chats.
I hope that as things move towards a faster pace again, that I can work to find this slower, more mindful space in my days. And I think that I can. But I am ready to embrace the exciting energy of a new school year as well, and I can't wait to go to a rock show again.
Here's to hope, and something to look forward to!
Comments