
Hale Sunrise - The Broken West
As previously noted, I am likely to check out most any band on the Merge Records label. The Broken West are one of those bands, and (naturally) this song is brilliant. The chorus gives me chills.
Hold Me Down - Motion City Soundtrack
I love this song - especially when the drums come in. The wierd thing is that I have come to find that I dont really enjoy much of their other music. But this song will put a part in your hair.
Shine - Trey Anastasio
Alright - so I used to REALLY like Phish. (Yes, I followed them for various shows, and discovered that it is hard to top a garlic grilled cheese in a coliseum parking lot.) I still do, though I can no longer see them live since they broke up. If you can't see Phish live, they are not nearly as enjoyable to listen to. So I was perusing the West Asheville library last week, and I came across this gem of a CD - one of Trey's solo records. This title track is just a great summer song. The entire record is quality, but without the extensive Phish-ish jamming.
That's All I Know Right Now - Sonic Youth
Sonic Youth was my all-time favorite band from age 14 through 18. I collected many of their CD singles at the time, and was really into B-sides. This song was one of those B-sides and I thought it was their greatest song ever. But, alas, I went to college and lost the CD single somewhere along the way. A few years ago, Sonic Youth reissued their record Goo (See above image), complete with the B-sides - and guess what showed up again? It is still as great as it was when I rocked in my '86 Accord at West Forsyth High.
Hold On, Hold On - Neko Case
I like the New Pornographers more than Neko's solo work, but I love this song. Haunting and beautiful, like most of her songs. He voice gets on Jessica's nerves.
Swimmers - Broken Social Scene
This is another band that I love this song, as well as about 3 others - but that is all. I just can not get into their entire catalogue. But this song is SOOOOO good. I love that girl's voice and the drum machine actually works well within this song.
Rag and Bone - White Stripes
my favorite cut off their new record. Just straight-up Whiste Stripes. I know that everyone likes them, but they are worth it.
Laurel Grove - Biscuit Burners
These guys are a bluegrass band from right here in Asheville. To live here is to be saturated with bluegrass, but there is something different about this group. This is a great song, and I adore the harmony.
Colorado - Squatweiler
Geez I wish Squatweiler were still around. just rock.
Comments