
Yesterday was a great July 4th. (It would have been cooler if the founding fathers had not removed Jefferson's additional paragraph in the Declaration that seriously criticized slavery in the 13 colonies. Instead, they removed it and we got...the Civil War. . . )
Anyways, our little family chose not to dwell on this fact and instead just had fun. We did some serious playing with the garden hose. Noah, Jessica, and I are now at the point where playing has become a serious thing, that must be pursued and nurtured constantly. Jessica captured Noah and I red-handed in the midst of play in the above photo. Shortly after this, we went to visit our friends Martin, Jennifer, and little Oliver. We had a great time cooking out and talking. Martin was in our wedding and each time I see him I am more proud that he was there on that day.
Our dryer is broken, and I struggled to fix it yesterday. When my remedy did not work, I decided that I should at least accomplish one thing - so I drank another cupacoffee and finished the newest Anne Lamont book, "Grace Eventually." It is about, you guessed it, grace. I appreciate the concept and learned a lot from the book. Jessica was sort of in the middle of it, so I needed to finish it quickly. I am now reading "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World." It is not about grace. It is about adaptabilty, ass-kicking, and how trade influences everything. It is a good time for me to read it, as I am (as happens at this time every summer) starting to miss teaching history to kids everyday. But I am truly enjoying my summer, especially all the time I get to spend with Jessica and Noah. The new White Stripes record (Icky Thump) and the newest Ryan Adams (Easy Tiger) are making for an amazing soundtrack to the summer months as well. Did you know that the White Stripes played a show in a Canadian schoolroom last week? How amazing is that? Don't believe it? Check out this link: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/43883-photos-white-stripes-rock-a-tiny-classroom-burnaby-british-columbia-062407
Comments