
Jessica, Noah and I travelled down to Lake Wylie this past weekend to enjoy the company of our great friends: Jason, Dicksy, Drake, and Rosey. They used to live in Asheville, and we went through much of our early adulthood challenges together. They had Drake and moved back home to South Carolina.
Their move was actually really difficult for me. Jason had been my best buddy for so long that he was deeply intertwined with my life in Asheville. We had played music together, constantly talked about philosophy, shared a sense fo humor, and attempted ridiculous projects together. I had learned so much from Jason since I had known him. I respected and loved him. Without him here, Asheville's meaning had to be redefined for me. It took me a couple of years to actually understand this, and to embrace the new experience that was my life in Asheville. It is funny now to reflect on it and notice how it seems like a larger plan was in place - and that many events unfolded at just the right time for me to find comfort. Shortly after their move, I was accepted into the National History Grant, and immediatly met 20 teachers who became great friends and my community. For the next three years, I was constantly engaged with these wonderful people - working, playing, and just enjoying one another's company. In the middle of this experience, Jessica and I had Noah - and everything changed. I also met some friends through the grant that also had kids, and we wanted to play music together. Things are good, and I have come to peace with my freshly defined life in Asheville.
We have been to visit Jason and Dicksy a few times in SC over the years, and they have come back to Asheville on occasion - and it is always as if they still live merely a few miles away. We keep in touch, and we make effort. It is just so rare that one is able to make friends like this.
So it was within this context that we found ouselves at the Lake with Jason and Dicksy this weekend. They have now had another child (Rosey), and it was just so great to watch our child fall in love with Drake and Rosey over the weekend (see above image of Noah and Drake staring at each other on the boat). A great weekend, continuing a wonderful relationship that is still creating new memories.
Comments