
I saw a woman crying in her car yesterday in downtown Asheville. I have no idea why she was upset, but it really got to me. She just looked so sad. I realized that it made me sad, and I just sat in my car for a few minutes in the YMCA parking lot. Also, Noah was sick last week. Aside from the general exhaustion and frustration that this brings to our household, I just felt so bad for him. He felt terrible, and it made me feel terrible. I have felt for some time that compassion is one of the most amazing things about being human. Do all life forms feel the pain, joy, and anger of others? Is it only us? And how the hell does that work anyway? Not to mention that when we are closer to someone, we feel their feelings even more. And to be honest, my "compassion switch" does not always turn on the way it is supposed to. Sometimes I am just an asshole about things. And later, when I realize this and am feeling guilty - I wonder why I was not more compassionate. So, Why?
On another note, I accidentally came across this article yesterday that was pretty cool. Jessica liked it as well. This Link will take you to it. It is a cool little commentary on parenting and such. The last paragraph says, "Here’s the stone-cold truth of the matter. You must agree to give up sleep, sex and the society of sane adults for most of the first year of each child’s life. You must provide a safe environment for your offspring, even though everything in your house is now a potential WMD. You will forgo movie theaters in favor of Netflix, which you’ll never have the time or energy to watch. You’ll give up fine restaurants in favor of those that don’t mind having 17 crumbled crackers flung in a 3-foot radius. You’ll deal with projectile vomit, diarrhea, snot, and other disgusting bodily fluids on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis. You’ll break up sibling fights, work to uphold self-esteem, and try not to react when your teenager comes home with an earring in his lip. Basically, you’ll agree to love, support and nurture your kids until the day you die.

Comments